There are 100 questions within this exam and All questions must be answered TRUE or FALSE by placing a TICK in the appropriate box on the answer sheet provided. If the Examination Committee have any doubt as to which box has been ticked, then the answer will be marked as incorrect. A correct answer will score one mark. There are no marks taken off for incorrect answers so it makes sense to attempt all the questions. You should read all the questions very carefully, and specifically ensure that ALL requirements for any foul, enforcement or situation are met before deciding on an answer. You are particularly advised to check the definitions of all the terms that are used.
All questions refer to the CURRENT British American Football Referees’ Association Rules and Interpretations or to the CURRENT BAFRA Manual of Football Officiating (Current Edition) including amendments to both.
Unless specifically stated otherwise, assume the following for ALL questions:
- All fields are full size and correctly marked in all respects;
- All plays are normal scrimmage downs;
- All acts occur while the ball is live;
- All acts occur within the field of play;
- All forward passes are legal and untouched;
- All Free Kicks, punts and Field Goal attempts are legal and untouched;
- All kicking or batting of a loose ball is clearly intentional;
- Any out of bounds is between the goal lines;
- There are no additional fouls, violations or other illegal acts;
- Time remaining in a quarter is not of relevance;
- Passes are not made to conserve time;
- The 2-minute warning is not a factor;
- All penalties are accepted;
- All ejectable penalties are not severe enough to warrant ejection;
- Questions refer to the correct answer by rule and NOT whether you would actually throw a flag during a game (i.e. all holding affects the play);
- It is NOT 4th down;
- It is NOT a Try;
- Free Kicks are kicked from Team A’s 35-yard line;
- Tries are snapped from Team B’s 3-yard line;
- Fair catch signals are valid;
- Mid-field means the 50-yard line;
- Both teams have time-outs remaining in the half;
- All blocks are above the waist, to the front, are with legal use of hands and do not involve continuous contact;
- All terms that are defined within the Rule Book (i.e. ‘catch’ or ‘back’) are applied correctly whenever used;
- Rulings that state a penalty yardage from an unspecified field position are not enforced from positions that would require half distance enforcement;
- The phrase ‘legal play’ means that the acts as specified are not contrary to the rules and no fouls, violations or improper procedures are described in the acts specified;
- All other acts which may be relevant to an answer but not explicitly mentioned are legal;
- USE COMMON SENSE.
YOU MAY: use any books, manuals and magazines to assist you in working out your answers. Take as much time as you need to answer the questions, provided your answer paper is sent in BEFORE the closing date or you have been given PRIOR approval from the Director of Training.
YOU MAY NOT: confer with any other person about the contents of the examination (or the answers) in writing, in person, by telephone or by any other method before the closing date. Any evidence of improper conduct during this examination will be referred to the BAFRA Disciplinary Committee. The motto of BAFRA is ‘INTEGRITY’. You are expected to uphold this at all times.